So, for a brief shining moment - I had an advantage.
I'll write more on this later, but I'm much happier with my play tonight than I have been in a good while. Throughout the game, I was vigilant to always know what my plan was and to constantly evaluate the position on the board. Having no repertoire against d4 to speak of, most of the opening was just winging it, and despite the smallish center, I was happy with where all my pieces developed. I locked down d5 early, even if it came at the expense of most of the other central squares.
Shortcomings during the game were as follows:
- Early, assessing the pieces and pawns was done with regularity, and I always knew what was guarded or only guarded once, etc. As the game progressed, I spent less time with that. I should be more vigilant looking for targets, even into the late middlegame and beyond.
- There was a blunder w/ 36. ...Qc5 which cost me that half of the full point. I was making moves with no internal delay - just jerking the piece to its new square as soon as I felt good about it. It would be a good idea, the next time I think to myself "this is a won position" if all moves, once decided, are then delayed by sitting on my hands for ten seconds or so. Everything feels like the right square when you're winning.
- Not knowing what is and isn't up with Bishops of opposite colors... That is literally the very next chapter in Silman's Endgame Course.
- Stayed fluid before hand by just not looking up who I was playing, or even considering the Opening at all.
- 29) ...Rxd4 was a moment that happened looking for active play, even though the 'material math' didn't immediately work out for me. Exchanging the rook for the bishop still seems like the right move and in this game at least, it decimated white's center and led to my advantage. This is not a move I would have played two or three weeks ago.
- 33. ..b4 I am learning: passed pawns are made to be pushed.
- Adding and maintaining a strategy component to this game made it more enjoyable.
No comments:
Post a Comment